detail from Labels for Hair Ribbons by Manuel Ocampo a delectable selection of oriental appetizers
Monday, February 19, 2001


: . The best lines from NBC’s The Princess and the Marine:
“She’s just a piece of tail!”
“Chew gum. Marines chew gum.”


: . I must be such a sad little girl this week considering all the retail-therapy I’ve been doing. I really should be penny-pinching in these uncertain economic times but at Borders today I bought

1) Katha Politt’s Subject to Debate: Sense and Dissents on Women, Politics, and Culture (a collection of her columns from The Nation) for $13.95 and

2) a book Katha Politt included in her 10 Required Readings List published in Mother Jones: Raymond Williams’ Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society for $14.95.

With 5% MD sales tax that totals $30.35—about ¾ of the cost, according to the USDA’s Low-Cost Food Plan, of a week’s worth of groceries (ha ha). That adds about and inch and half to the tall, tall pile of books I really don’t have time to read but should since I bought them. I plan to vacuum weekly around this pile to keep the evil dust mites out.


: . A bumper sticker seen on a battered Chevy truck on my way to Borders: CHARLTON HESTON IS MY PRESIDENT. My card-carrying NRA member, Republican-registered step-dad had this bumper sticker on his battered Ford truck: PROTECT FREEDOM, ELECT SAUERBRAY. (Ellen Sauerbray was the Republican Second Amendment-freak gubernatorial candidate mercifully beaten by Democrat Parris Glendening two years ago.) The presence of registered Democrat, gun-toting hunters in this part of the country (western PA, western MD, and WV) is the reason why Al Gore had such an ambivalent position on gun control during last year’s presidential campaign. We have rifles, handguns, crossbows, and hunting fatigues in the basement and in this idyllic town of ours that’s completely normal.

A snippet of conversation between my step-dad and his daughter that woke me up at 6:30 AM a few days ago: God forbid if we have a war and those people don’t have guns to defend themselves.

| Link
...............................



Comments: Post a Comment